DIY DOC FILMMAKING WORKSHOP
I led a 3 day long DIY doc filmmaking workshop at the University of Aveiro in Portugal. Through participatory, hands-on exercises, students learned how to conduct interviews, shoot b-roll, and use creative constraints to their advantage. Working in small groups, they created unusual, humorous short doc experiments. The goal of the workshop was to spark participants' interest in DIY documentary filmmaking and encourage creative collaboration.
Module 1 Visual Elements
intro to 6 documentary modes
camera framing, camera angles, creative visual elements
creative constraint b-roll exercise
review b-roll footage
Module 2 Production
how to film on a smartphone
3-point lighting exercise
review interview footage
Module 3 Editing
review work-in-progress doc experiments
ANALOG PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
I led a 2 day long analog photography workshop at the University of Aveiro in Portugal. The goal of the workshop was for students to create more dynamic photos, improve their portrait photography, explore natural light, and practice giving feedback.
Polaroid Portrait Game pt 1
• Form a circle with the group
• Show functions on camera and how to load film
• The first person will take a portrait of the person across from them in the circle. Find out their name and what experience they have with photography.
• Pick your frame & take a portrait
• Pass the camera to the person next to you
• Explain how to use the camera without touching it
• Repeat until everyone has had a chance to take a portrait
• Review photos
Polaroid Portrait Game pt 2
• Form groups of 4 people. Everyone will take 2-3 portraits of someone in the group.
• Get to know your subject - ask them questions to help inform the portrait you will take
• Try and reveal something about them – an object, a place, an expression, a feeling
• Practice directing your subject
• Review photos
Disposable Camera Exercise
• Students have 48 hours to finish a roll of film on a disposable camera and complete the checklist below
• Students review each other's photos and try to guess which photo correlates to the checklist